Exploring mood in the landscape. A pastellist’s perspective.
This one day workshop will focus on creating pastel paintings that tell a story about the landscape through the exploration of mood supported by an effective underpainting, simple yet powerful compositional devices, varied mark making and the creative use of colour.
It’s suitable for beginners and more experienced pastel artists alike.
The morning session will begin with a demonstration using foliage and flowers in the landscape to aid in setting a mood, creating added richness and texture and helping to move the viewer through the painting. The class will then choose a landscape subject to paint for the rest of the morning. There will be time for individual tuition and further discussion as the morning progresses.
The afternoon session will start with a demonstration of a river in the landscape. This is a really versatile compositional device and can suggest tranquility, serenity, excitement or action depending on the artists approach. The class will then have time to use some of the techniques in their own painting.
You can bring your own reference photos or choose from the tutor’s collection which will include different formats, expansive landscapes and more intimate close-ups.
If you’re new to pastels you can choose to use the tutor’s supplies for a small $10 fee. This includes 2 sheets of Colourfix pastel paper and a box of soft pastels.
- Soft pastels; whatever you have will be fine, and the tutor will bring additional pastels the class can use.
- 2 sheets of pastel paper (whatever size you prefer working on) – tutor will be using Art Spectrum Colourfix but you can use whatever you like.
- A sketchbook or scrap paper and pencil or charcoal for planning your painting.
- Pastels are best painted upright so if you have a desk easel bring it along.
- A rigid backing board such as foam core or an MDF panel.
- Tape or a bulldog clip to attach your paper to the board.
- A medium size watercolour or soft acrylic brush.
- A rag or paper towel for cleaning pastels.
PAYMENT OPTIONS WILL BE LISTED IN YOUR CONFIRMATION EMAIL. Use the code LWWS For direct deposit payments.